Chip Ganassi will field three full-time cars next year in the NTT IndyCar Series. Ganassi’s team announced today that Marcus Ericsson will drive the No. 8 Honda alongside the 2019 Rookie of the Year and fellow countryman Felix Rosenqvist, and five-time series champion Scott Dixon for the 2020 season.
The 29-year-old competed in 16 races this past season for Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. He earned his first career podium with a runner-up finish in Detroit. The former Formula 1 driver also had six laps led on the season and completed 89 percent of the total laps. He notched three top-ten finishes and finished 17th in the standings.
“I’m extremely happy and proud to get the opportunity to join Chip Ganassi Racing,” Ericsson said. “It’s a team of winners and their history speaks for itself. I’m very thankful that they believe in me, and I will do everything I can to make 2020 another successful year for the team. I’m also very excited to work with two of the best drivers in the series in Scott and Felix. I’m looking forward to putting what I’ve learned this year to use in my second year in the NTT IndyCar Series.”
Ganassi went from a four-car lineup to just two cars following the 2017 season. Most of the employees will be coming from the team’s Ford GT IMSA program, as it winds down with their final race at Petit Le Mans.
Chip was eager to jump at the opportunity to bring in a driver with Ericsson’s talent. “I think Marcus brings a lot of unique experience with him having competed in several championships around the world,” he said. “When you have someone with that type of background, it gives him other points of reference that helps his ability to develop and add to the overall racing program. We’re looking forward to seeing what Marcus can do alongside Scott and Felix.”
The team had been rumored to be trying to prepare a ride for 2019 Indy Lights champion Oliver Askew. Those plans will continue to be explored over the coming months. The 2020 season begins March 10 in St Petersburg.